Sunday, February 22, 2009

Spring has sprung, the grass has riz ...


Having a house is better than having an apartment. Weather was just beautiful today: clear, cool, dry, sunny. We'd gone to Home Depot yesterday and began planning our landscaping. Sum total of purchases was hoe, rake, yard broom, clippers and a watering can. We laid plans for a return visit for pots, tomato plants, herb seeds, soil, fertilizer, and flowers flowers flowers. Petunias, maybe marigolds (but Wife hates them) and lots of others that I don't know the names for. Top of wife's list is a pot and soil for her "yoelka" -- the live pine tree we received for Christmas. It's growing like crazy in its little pot. She wants to get it into something bigger before it turns into a bonsai.

So when I got up this morning the bug hit to go dig in the dirt. It's been more than a decade since I've had any dirt to dig in. Sounds like a chore to a lot of people I'm sure but I was happy to be outside raking up the pine needles from the flower beds, hoeing up the dirt around the flowers, raking things smooth. I trimmed our dead palm branches. Before I could remember past efforts, it was too late. Give me clippers or a watering hose and I sort of lose control. I trimmed lots of stuff ... names of which I don't know ... that had been frost damaged or fungused or that I thought just didn't look quite right. Several plants are now at ground level or lower. But ... the three flower beds I attacked all look better than when I started. And did I tell you the azaleas are blooming. Spring in February; I love Houston.

I'm a happy camper.

Plus we played nine holes of golf today.

And yesterday I stopped at a bike shop and got two new tires and two new tubes for my bike. Well, not my bike actually. It's my daughter's bike, but I sort of appropriated it when she moved to college or something and I've never given it back. Today before golf I got the tires changed, found my bike shoes and helmet after considerable looking and when we got back took it out for a spin. It'll only hit about 1/2 the gears, but the brakes worked, the wheels were only moderately out of round, I could get in and out of the clips on the pedals. It was nice to get out for a ride after probably seven years of never touching it while I was in the UK.

All in all, having a house is much better than having an apartment.

1 comment:

Danielle Filas said...

Go get 'er tuned up! She'll work like a dream-- will be like have a brand new bike for about $50.