Sunday, February 15, 2009

Random thoughts on a Sunday morning

Off color jokes (those of you with weak stomachs, look away): I recorded the "Blue Collar Comedy Tour 2" last night and watched it this morning. Follow the link to see some of it on YouTube. I laughed until I choked. Ron White: "I got fired from my last job. It was at the pickle factory. I got fired for putting my finger in the pickle slicer. .... She got fired too; we both got fired." Larry the Cable Guy: "I like to use the handicapped toilets in public restrooms. They keep 'em cleaner. And they got them rails in case you need a power squeeze." Jeff Foxworthy: "Show me a three-year-old in nothing but underwear walking around in a flea market sucking on a baby-bottle full of cola and I'll show you a future NASCAR fan."

Bird-strikes: Wife heard a crash some days back. At first thought that something had fallen in the garage ... like, say, a rack full of sailboards hanging from the ceiling? Nope. Golfer hitting a window with a golfball? Nope, windows in tact. Branch falling off the trees and hitting the roof? Well maybe. Nothing else seemed to be out of place, fallen over, fallen off, fallen in. A couple nights later, I see on the window looking out on the patio the following image caught in the reflection. Case closed: a bird had done a full on face-plant into the window. A pretty big bird. He probably thought some other bird of his species was encroaching on his territory and flew to the attack, not realizing our tinted windows are pretty good mirrors from the outside. Imagine his surprise when the encroacher fails to back away. Gotta give the guy an "A" for perseverance, he just kept on coming. No dead bird on the patio, so he must've gotten over the concussion and flow off later.

More off color jokes: Wife came in this morning holding two eggs about the size of golfballs -- maybe a little smaller. She says, "Can you believe it? They call these Large Eggs." I say, "Oh, yeah. I forgot to tell you that they measure eggs like penises. No one's EVER gonna buy a Small condom. They start at Large."

Valentines' Day: Worked up a sweat last night. We went to The Club with a couple friends of ours who live down the road. All four of us worked in Kazakhstan in mid-90s. We had a nice buffet dinner and took a couple turns on the dance floor to golden oldies. Wife forced me to practice our cha-cha moves before we left. I actually got through the whole routine once without a mistake at the club. DJ was smart enough to play "Smooth" by Santana with Rob Thomas -- one of our favorites. Also got in a couple salsas. A good time was had by all.




Times past: I recorded Bette Midler in "The Rose" a couple days ago and watched it this morning. I forgot how really good the movie is and how really hard it is to watch. They should make Amy Winehouse watch it until she pukes, ala 'Clockwork Orange". [I read this morning she's back in a hospital in St. Lucia. Something about running out of her drug substitute.]Years and years ago I saw Bette Midler in concert at the Concord Pavilion. She is just fabulous. What was her back up group? The Harlettes? She did one number in electric wheel chairs while wearing mermaid tails, I remember. I had season tickets for the Pavilion that year. I saw Donna Summer (far better than expected), Barry Manillo (which should have been awful and wasn't), and Chicago. It was a good summer. Wife-at-the-time had bugged out with a friend for a tour of Europe. Daughter had one week of my cooking and informed me she was going to Grandma and Grandpa's. All I remember is the concerts.

No comments: