Friday, June 20, 2008

Police Station

So, I'm in line at the police station. Never mind why. Two guys in line in front of me. West African by their accents.

Policewoman behind counter: "No, you can't get your car out of empoundment until you prove it has insurance."

"But when the car was seized it was insured. I have the document here."

"OK, but to drive it now, you need to prove insurance."

"I had insurance."

"Yes, OK. But it expired June 13th."

"I just want to drive it home and park it. I can't afford the petrol, the insurance, the MOT. I just want to get it home and then sell it."

"OK. Get it insured and we'll release it to you."

"It was insured when you seized it."

"OK. We'll release it to you after you prove it's insured now."

"My friend here has insurance. Can he drive it?"

"No. Insurance covers the car."

Bing, I wake up from where ever I was up to this point. HUH? You don't insure the DRIVER? Sure you do. If I have an accident, the CAR doesn't lose its 'no claim' discount.

[I'd just discovered this week that UK car insurance doesn't cover the insured person if they drive a rental car ... say in US. You HAVE to buy the extra insurance at like $20 per day from the rental company. So I guess this police officer is half right: UK insurance covers the car and the person as an item. Does that mean only I can drive my car here? I can't drive someone elses; I can't let someone else drive mine? And for this priviledge I get to pay the equivalent of $1500 per year?]

Back in reality: "Can I take my car now?"

"You have to prove you have insurance for it."

"I have a provisional licence. If I put my provisional license tags on it, can I drive it?"

I get my book out and glance at my watch.

1 comment:

Danielle Filas said...

Getting ones car out of car-jail in Chicago always proved a frightening experience. The place is UNDER Lower Wacker Drive (of Blues Brothers fame)... it is dark, dank, and musty and full of the angriest of city workers (that's like saying the darkest of black holes, by the way.) You stand in a horrible line with furious people, you pay a ridiculous amount of money, then you're given vague directions deep into the heart of darkness (the horror, the horror). When you do get to your car, it's dirtier than you've ever seen and is covered in soaped on numbers that have to be removed with a razor blade. The last time they towed the Subie, I almost let them keep it. And they do NOT care if you're insured-- or even if you're the real owner. They just want your money. *finer to nose*