Saturday, September 13, 2008

Still OK here in San Antonio

We had no wind and no rain in San Antonio over night. We drove to our friends Gridley and Terry's house about 25 minutes from our hotel downtown. Our other friends DW and Pat with their daughter Debbie and their four dogs had driven two hours up from Padre Island so we had a Knox reunion. Terry made great spaghetti and even greater brownies. We shared old times and then we drove back to the hotel about 11pm.

Houston doesn't look good and if they'll give us a room at the hotel for tomorrow night we'll probably stay here one more night at least -- planning to drive back to Houston on Monday. If we can't get a room, we may crash at Gridley and Terry's.

Not much more to say about all this. I'm glad we left Houston. I'm too old to deal with the mess.

One thought occurred to me: our furniture is sitting in a shipping container -- somewhere in the Port of Houston. Or at least that's where it was supposed to be. I hope it's not floating away somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico! Or hasn't had water blown into the container.

I'm expecting that our rented place in Houston has water in it -- just from the force of the wind blowing water in through the cracks. I'd duct taped the sliding glass door to try to seal that a bit, but I've got not much hope that it did a lot of good. Good news is that, so far, we've not seen any evidence of flooding in our area of downtown.

How did our new house do? I have no idea. I suspect that water blew in and that we at least have some damage. It's supposed to be very water tight, but with winds at 100mph, water's going to find a way in.

Smart move for the day yesterday: I filled up the gas tank. Gasoline prices are going to be up over $5.00 per gallon until they figure out what's happened to the refineries.

We're off to breakfast.

2 comments:

Deborah Gilbert said...

I'm praying for your safety and the safety of your stuff and your new home!

Danielle Filas said...

So glad to know that you are both out of the path of Ike's ire. Holding out hope that your new home makes it through with nothing more than some broken branches.
Love you! And love to all the Siwash!