Monday, July 28, 2008

Good news and better news

Slowly, grindingly our move moves forward.

I sold the car this weekend. The initial trials and tribulations I documented in my earlier posts (Woes, More Woes, and Not Woes) are nearly put behind me.

In my previous post on this topic, it was Monday a week ago and I'd just driven away from Rainbow Bodyshop Ltd in one of their courtesy cars. I entertained a small hope that my red Jaguar would be repaired by early the following week -- giving me less than a week to get it sold.

I recieved a call at work last Thursday morning.

"This is Chris at Rainbow. I'm reporting the status of your car. ... "

My heart sank. Couldn't get the parts. More damage than expected. Car won't be ready until September.

" ... It's just gone into the drying room. It's projected completion is tomorrow."

I said, "Say that again. It sounded like you said 'It'll be ready tomorrow.'"

"That's correct. We'll call you when it's been cleaned and polished."

"You'll call me tomorrow when it's been cleaned and polished?"

"That's right."

"Tomorrow."

"That's right."

And then what's even MORE amazing they DID call on Friday morning. I drove their POS courtesy car back to them, and there my red cat sat waiting for me. Only problem was that they'd refurbished one of the alloy wheels and it wasn't dry yet. They said they'd bring it to us at home that night.

In the mean time, I'd knocked £1500 off the asking price in the online ads I'd placed. Suddenly people were interested. A guy at work told a friend who agreed to come look at it on Saturday. He liked it. He put a deposit down and signed a paper saying he'd give me my new asking price. He is arranging his financing and will pick up the car this coming Sunday, which is great because I shouldn't have to get a rental until then ... but more on that later.

The new alloy wheel didn't show up on Friday as promised, but it did show up at our house today. Looks great too. I'm pleased.

So that's the good news. And the better news:

Packers/loaders booked; appointment with landlord for final check out booked; interim living at Berystede Hotel down the road booked; flights booked. Still need to schedule cleaners for day before inspection. Still need to arrange taxi to airport. Still need to eat a bunch of food (can't import food into US anymore) and to drink the last of the alcohol.

An aside: last night we drank a bottle of 1993 Clos Pegase Cabernet Sauvignon. That's a vineyard in Napa Valley that I visited in a previous life in probably 1993. I see from their website that one of their 2004 cabs sells for $80 a bottle, so I'm not sure how much money we drank last night. I've been carting that bottle, and a few others, around through all my moves. That poor wine's been hard treated; but, wow, was it wonderful in spite of all the rough handling. Smooth as smooth right out of the bottle, didn't even need to breathe. Strong taste of blackberries. Sad to see it go, but it was worth the money, how ever much it was.

While all that was going on in UK, the transfer logjam broke in the US. Appropriate paperwork got processed. Relocation consultant called me. Company-approved realtor emailed me and I sent her back a list of housing requirements. I AM excited about the housing situation: the prices look really good in Houston.

Slowly, grindingly our move moves forward.

1 comment:

Danielle Filas said...

BoooYAH! Sounds great! Gosh, I wish my "to do" list consisted of eating a lot of food and drinking a lot of wine.