Monday, August 4, 2008

House full of boxes -- pictures at 10

Packers arrived today on time. No, idiot, not the football team -- three guys: Mark, Rob, Terry. They got right to work at 9am with piles of paper and boxes. By 2:30pm they'd packed the bedroom, kitchen, one bath, most of the living room, and our office/junk room. Wish I'd thought to take a picture, but I'll get you one tomorrow.

Wife and I spent day while they were working throwing out a dumpster full of stuff that US Customs wouldn't let us bring in -- mostly food, but anything flammable too.

Terry took the TV, VCR, satellite box, and steam iron off our hands. His niece is moving into her first place and has nothing. Well now, she has a TV, VCR, satellite dish and steam iron. None of which would work in US, so good donation to charity for someone like me who doesn't have time or inclination to put the stuff on eBay and deal with all that.

Had a nice lunch at a restaurant in Ascot, except Wife froze her little noogers off. And she has such nice noogers too. It was really too bad.

I figured out how to use a loaner laptop at the hotel to get onto the Internet. Internet news included:

We're going to have TWO cars for us to go to the airport on Friday. I think I scared them a bit when I told them we had five check-in bags, a set of golf clubs, and four carry-ons. Hey, we're travelling business class and we're all within allowable. And Continental Airlines provides 'free' airport transportation in the London area, so send them cars this way.

Hurricane is due to hit Galveston, TX just south of Houston on Tuesday. Good timing, God. I owe you one.

We have our hotel booked for our first weekend in Houston and a (single) rental car booked. I'll get all our luggage into it, I bet. Or make Wife take taxi to hotel while I drive, I guess.

Guy I sold the Jag to thought enough of it to write back to me saying that he really likes the car already. That was nice to hear. I like win-win propositions.

Now, time to stagger down to the hotel restaurant for a bite then a TV movie and then some sleep. The moving guys are back at the house at 07:30 tomorrow to finish packing and loading the container. They THINK our sofa is going to show up. Any bets?

No comments: